Forgotten Women: The Leaders
By Zing Tsjeng
The 48 influential and rebellious female leaders that history should never have forgotten.
The women who shaped and were erased from our history.
The Forgotten Women series will uncover the lost histories of the influential women who have refused over hundreds of years to accept the hand they've been dealt and, as a result, have formed, shaped and changed the course of our futures.
The Leaders weaves together 48* unforgettable portraits of the true pioneers and leaders who made huge yet unacknowledged contributions to history, including:
- Grace O'Malley, the 16th century Irish pirate queen
- Sylvia Rivera, who spearheaded the modern transgender rights movement
- Agent 355, the unknown rebel spy who played a pivotal role in the American Revolution
- Noor Inayat Khan, who went undercover to spy for the French Resistance and became Nazi enemy no. 1
- Amina of Zazzau, the formidable ancient Muslim warrior queen of Northern Nigeria
Chapters including Rebels; Warriors; Rulers; Activists and Reformers shine a spotlight on the rebellious women who defied the odds, and the opposition, to change the world around them.
*The number of Nobel-prize-winning women.
Zing Tsjeng is the UK Editor of VICE.com's female-vertical Broadly. The channel focuses on women's issues and has been hailed as the 'slickest feminist platform around'. Zing has also become a spokesperson for millennial women, debating at Telegraph Women events, twice appearing on BBC Radio 4's "Late Night Woman's Hour" and writing for Dazed, the Guardian and Broadly.
womenwhodraw.com is the first open directory of female professional illustrators from around the world. It has been featured in Vogue and on the Huffington Post.
- Other details
- Publication date:
08 Mar 2018
- Page count: