What we’re looking for:
We publish a wonderful, exciting, diverse list of SFF here at Hodder – and we’re always on the lookout for new talent.
Specifically, we are looking for novels (50,000 words or more) that contain some element of the speculative or fantastic. Simply put, we’re looking for awesome science fiction, fantasy and horror novels.
This open submissions period is a chance for unagented authors to get their manuscripts in front of us.
If you have an agent, please do not submit to us during this open submissions period. Ask your agent to send us your manuscript via the usual channels.
How to submit:
The submissions period will open at 12 am GMT on 3 August, 2015, and will close on 16 August, 2015, at 11.59 pm, GMT.
We will NOT read anything submitted outside this period.
During the submissions period, please send your submission with the subject line ‘submission – TITLE – your name’
- For example: submission – A THANE OF GROANS – Anne Perry
Please include only the following attachments:
- The first 3 chapters or the first 15,000 words of your novel, whichever you prefer.
- make sure your pages are numbered.
- A single cover page with the following information:
- Your name
- Your contact information
- The title of your novel
- The word-count
- A synopsis of your novel. This must be no more than two pages long.
PLEASE NOTE that you may attach the cover page, synopsis and first three chapters as a single document or three separate documents.
Do not send us your entire novel.
If we would like to read the rest we will contact you to call it in.
Multiple submissions are allowed. If you would like to submit more than one work, please:
- send a separate email for each submission using the subject line template above.
- let us know that you have submitted more than one work.
If you are submitting several related works, say, three novels that make up a trilogy, please let us know the following information in the synopsis and on the cover page:
- what number the specific work is in relation to the others (for example: Book 2 of 3)
- Word docs only. Both .doc and .docx are fine.
- Please use Times New Roman in 11 or 12-point font.
- Please double-space your submission.
What to expect:
We will first send you an email to confirm that your submission has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation email from us within two weeks of your submission, please email us at the above address.
We will read through every submission that we receive. We will make every effort to get back in touch with you by 30 September, 2015, to let you know our decision.
Please do not email us to ask whether we’ve read your submission yet.
We are not open to poetry, children’s fiction, non-fiction, short stories or novellas.
We will accept YA/crossover submissions, but:
- your submission must contain an element of the speculative or fantastic, and
- your submission must be firmly crossover.
- That is, your novel must also appeal to non-YA readers. You’ll have to use your good judgement here, but if we feel the submission skews too young, we’ll reject it.
This is only a submission; by sending us your manuscript you are not granting us any rights to your novel.
If we pass on your manuscript, we will delete your email and all attachments.
If you have any questions, please post them in the comments and we’ll answer!
Answers to FAQs:
- We are open to submissions from anywhere in the world, not just the UK.
- If you would like to submit a previously self-published novel, please let us know in your email that it was previously self-published.