Disclosure: If you buy products using the retailer buttons above, we may earn a commission from the retailers you visit.
Can you really lose weight by consuming nothing but ice cream and beer? How does the latest blockbuster movie get squeezed onto a disk, and how do they make the pictures seem 3D? How much does a selfie weigh? What’s the science behind forensic investigations, body scans, and the dating of ancient artefacts?
The Physics Behind… takes the reader on a fascinating journey through the scientific principles that that make the modern world work. Could there be life on Mars? Why is north really south? How do self-driving cars find their way around? These and many more topics are explored by starting with the basic science that makes them tick – examining the physics behind them. Packed with detailed original artwork and infographics, The Physics Behind… is perfect for anyone who has ever been curious about the science of life.
– The physics behind modern life: Wi-Fi, Facial recognition, touchscreens, microwave ovens, the ice cream and beer diet, taking a selfie, Flash memory, a bag of sugar, catching the train, calendars and clocks
– The physics behind entertainment: optical discs, lasers, white water, executive toys, the electric guitar, music, 3D movies
– The physics behind analysis: medical imaging, looking at little things, spectroscopy, crime scene investigation, tricorder, microfluidics, radiocarbon dating, proving the Earth is round
– The physics behind space: rocket science, space weather, Planet Nine, space telescopes, is there anybody out there? life on Earth, life on Mars
– The physics behind big science: what’s the matter?, time travel, bomb or meltdown?, the Large Hadron Collider, the Human Genome Project, the Standard Model, gravity, everything
– The physics behind the weird universe: strings, rings and other things, N-dimensional space, the hypercube, antimatter, the dark universe, quantum weirdness, quantum biology, time crystals and Majorana
– The physics behind the environment: weather forecasts, climate change, renewable energy, migration, peacock feathers, sunburn, rainbows, spider silk
– The physics behind transportation: autonomous autos, Hyperloop, Maglev, satellite navigation, motor sport, going rreeaallllyy fast, stealth
– The physics behind everything else: curve balls, the Mpemba Effect, why north is really south, perpetual motion and the heat death of the universe, and the physics behind this book.
<p>Sign up to the Octopus email newsletter to keep up to date with new releases, author news, and exclusive competitions.</p>
<p><a href="/landing-page/octopus/octopus-company-information/">The data controller is Octopus Book Group Limited</a>.</p>
<p>Read about how we’ll protect and use your data in our <a href="/landing-page/privacy-notice-holder-octopus/">Privacy Notices</a>.</p>
<p>You can unsubscribe at any time via the link in any email we send you.</p>