A warming bowl of this hearty chilli can’t be beaten with its spicy, smoky and sweet flavours. Serve it with melting cheese and alongside some Zucchimole to take it to the next level for your guests.
Calories per serving: 282
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
low-calorie cooking spray
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
2 400g (14oz) cans chopped tomatoes
350ml (12fl oz) water
400g (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
400g (14oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons tomato purée
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
handful of coriander, to serve
For the spice mix
2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan (400°F), Gas Mark 6.
2. Mix all the spices for the spice mix together in a small bowl.
3. In a large ovenproof casserole dish, fry the onion, celery and leek in low-calorie cooking spray for 10 minutes, then add the garlic, carrots and peppers. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the tomatoes, water, black beans and pinto beans, then add the tomato purée, soy sauce, vinegar and spice mix and stir everything together thoroughly.
5. Bring up to a rapid simmer, then put a lid on and place in the oven to cook for 1 hour. When ready, the chilli should be a rich dark colour and all the vegetables tender.
6. Serve scattered with coriander.
This recipe is from The Slimming Foodie by Pip Payne
If you liked this recipe, why not try these Herbed Turkey Meatballs with Courgette Couscous from Eat Shop Save: 8 Weeks to Better Health by Dale Pinnock?