While roast pork shoulder is wonderful with crackling, we also enjoy this recipe with this delicious pistachio stuffing, which I like to make during the Christmas season. Sometimes I make a bigger batch of the stuffing, roll it up in foil and bake it separately, then serve it sliced on the side, especially when we have friends and family over and there are certain allergies or intolerances to cater for.
1.2kg boned and rolled pork shoulder joint
1 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper
FOR THE PISTACHIO STUFFING
1 shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
6 button mushrooms, chopped
20g pistachio nuts
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary leaves
4 slightly stale bread slices, blitzed to crumbs
1 small egg
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. For the stuffing, sweat the shallot and garlic in a little olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until their juices have evaporated but without colouring, then set aside.
2. Meanwhile, blanch the pistachios in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain.
3. Mix the mushroom mixture, pistachios and herbs with the breadcrumbs in a bowl.
4. Beat the egg, milk and nutmeg together in a separate bowl and season with a little salt and a few twists of pepper. Add to the breadcrumb mixture and mix to bind.
5. Open up the pork shoulder and season the inside with salt and pepper.
6. Form the stuffing into a log shape, place in the seasoned pork shoulder, then roll up. Tie the rolled joint with butcher’s string in the centre and at both ends to secure.
7. Score the skin of the pork with a sharp knife, then rub the honey all over.
8. Season the pork with salt and rub it in, then place in a large roasting tray and leave to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
9 Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160ÆC fan, Gas Mark 4.
10. Roast the pork for 50 minutes, then increase the oven temperature to 180ÆC fan, Gas Mark 6, and roast for a further 20–30 minutes. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is from At Home by Monica Galetti