There are different rituals that you can do at home to heal the chakras and either prepare yourself for the day ahead or get ready – mentally, physically and emotionally – for bedtime and sleep. This is a morning ritual to do first thing in the day, so that you are refreshed and ready to face the day ahead. Practising this meditation regularly will set the tone for your day and will give you a more positive mindset. This morning ritual not only opens up the chakras so that you start the day with a balanced mind, body and soul, but also protects your energy field from negative and lower energies around you.
DURATION: 15 MINUTES
1. Find a quiet space where you know you won’t be interrupted. You can play nice relaxing, healing music, if you wish. Sit in a comfortable position on a chair or with crossed legs on the floor. Roll your shoulders back, and straighten your back so that it’s nice and tall, but not stiff. Slightly tuck in your chin, so that you create a nice space at the back of your neck.
2. Rest your hands with your palms facing down on your knees. Close your eyes. Take a nice deep breath in through your nose, then breathe out through your mouth. Repeat this three times. Bring awareness to your body, from head to toes and then from toes to head.
3. Starting with Muladhara, bring awareness to the base of your spine and imagine a red light expanding, as you breathe in and out into this area. Take a nice deep inhale through your nose and, as you exhale, chant the mantra LAM. Repeat this mantra seven times before moving to the next chakra.
4. Svadhisthana is located below the navel area. Take a few deep inhalations, visualizing the colour orange expanding. When you are ready, breathe in and, as you exhale, chant nice and loud the mantra VAM. Chant this seven times.
5. Move on to Manipura, breathing in and out into your navel centre and imagining a bright-yellow light expanding as you inhale and exhale. As with the other two chakras, start chanting the sacred sound RAM loud enough that you can feel the vibration in the solar plexus of your body. Continue chanting this seven times.
6. Move on to Anahata. This time imagine a light forestgreen growing and expanding, and use your breath to tap into the chakra of love and compassion. Chant the mantra YAM, just as you did with the other chakras. Continue with this seven times, then move to the next chakra.
7. Bring your awareness to Vishuddha, taking deep inhalations and exhalations through your nose and visualizing a light-blue colour getting bigger and bigger, illuminating the throat area of your body. Take a nice breath in and, as you breathe out, chant the sound HAM, which should be felt in your throat. Keep doing this for seven repetitions.
8. When you are ready, move on to Ajna. Bring awareness to your forehead between the eyebrows (the third eye), then take a few inhalations and exhalations as you tap into this chakra of wisdom and vision. When you are ready, chant the sound OM, focusing on that area. Still with your eyes closed, imagine a bright indigo-blue colour expanding as far as the radiation wishes to go. Stay here for seven chants before moving on.
9. Bring your awareness to Sahasrara at the top of your head and, as you breathe in and out, imagine a bright-violet light expanding from the top of your head and above it, like a flower opening and flourishing. Continue doing this and, when you are ready, begin to chant the sound OM. Stay here chanting this mantra seven times.
10. Once you have finished, still keeping your eyes closed, enjoy the moment and visualize all of your chakras from Muladhara to Sahasrara radiating their colours in perfect harmony. Feel them vibrating and radiating their light beyond your physical body, forming a healthy bright aura around you, like a protective shield of light. Stay here for a couple of breaths.
11. Now bring your attention to Sahasrara and, still keeping the big light around you, start reducing the colour violet to the size of a pea; then continue with Ajna, reducing the indigo-blue light to a size of a pea; continue doing this with all remaining chakras, and when you have finished with Muladhara, again visualize all of your chakras from bottom to top, and from top to bottom, like small colourful dots, with a radiant glowing aura around you.
12. Take a few more breaths here. Bring your palms together in front of your chest. Rub your hands together and place them on your eyes, then gently open your eyes and slowly bring your hands down. You are now ready to get on with your day.