THE BENEFITS OF PILATES
Here are some benefits of regular Pilates that our clients report:
- Improved body awareness
- Better posture
- Increased spine flexibility and strength
- Improved joint mobility, resulting in fewer joint aches and pains
- Improved balance and co-ordination
- More efficient breathing
- Improved bone strength
- Increased stamina and energy
- Stronger muscles; in particular the gluteals, quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, upper arms, back and abdominals and pelvic floor.
- A more streamlined outline, especially a trimmer waistline
- Healthier, less painful feet
- Improved sleep
- Improved self-esteem and confidence
- Help managing conditions of the mind and emotions; the mindfulness of pilates is very beneficial to mental as well as physical health
- A feeling of general health and wellbeing
- Better ability to cope with stress
- Balances your body
EXCERCISES FOR A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM: NOSE SPIRALS
I love this one. I find it especially helpful if I feel a tension headache coming on.
CHALLENGES & BENEFITS
- Challenges you to control the smooth movement of your neck.
Mobilises the neck and helps free tension in the area.
Encourages lymph flow.
- Try not to disturb the natural, neutral curves of your upper and lower back.
- Relaxation Position (page 37), arms lengthened down by your sides. You can open or close your eyes. You could also do this exercise in an upright position, like Seated (page 42–3) or High Kneeling (page 46).
Breathe normally throughout.
- Imagine the centre of a circle hovering just above your nose. Slowly, with control, start to circle your head, making each circle slightly larger than the last, as you spiral outwards.
- Stop when you have reached your outer circle, then start to spiral back, in ever decreasing circles, to the Starting Position.
- Finish the exercise with a gentle Chin Tuck (page 40), nodding the head forwards, drawing the chin down and lengthening the back of your neck. Return to the Starting Position.
Repeat up to x 6 clockwise and anticlockwise.
THIS IS AN EXCLUSIVE EXTRACT FROM PILATES EXPRESS BY LYNNE ROBINSON